Only if we understand can we care. Only if we care can we help. Only if we help shall they be saved. -Jane Goodall
The Friends of the Palm Springs Animal Shelter believes that every animal matters and that every animal deserves the very best care. That is why we worked so hard to raise funds for our new, state-of-the-art animal shelter. The old shelter was built in 1961 (nearly 50 years ago!) and was woefully inadequate to meet the needs of the current animal population in Palm Springs.
In 2009, the City of Palm Springs allocated $5 million in a capital improvement bond and the process of designing a shelter that would stand as a model for Southern California was finally underway. When the bids came in, we learned that building costs would be closer to $7 million, so The Friends of the Palm Springs Animal Shelter got busy.With the help of generous animal loving benefactors, we were able to raise the funds needed to build much of the new facility. Ground was broken on the new shelter on July 7th, 2010.
We are proud of our efforts, proud of our community, and proud of the new shelter. While the new facility is a huge improvement, it is only a building. To truly be a progressive animal care center, essential programs must also be implemented, including humane education, Trap/Neuter/Release for community cats, foster care, mobile adoptions, transfers, low cost spay/neuter clinics, a LOVE FUND to help defray the cost of treating sick and injured animals, and a robust volunteer program. Friends of the Palm Springs Animal Shelter is dedicated to growing each of these programs to be on par with the best shelters in the world.
We are reaching out to all of those who care as much as we do about the welfare of animals to help with this effort. Donations of whatever size you can manage will be gratefully accepted and deeply appreciated.
Please join us in building a community that has all of the elements in place to deliver the highest level of compassionate care to lost, abandoned and abused animals.
There are a several ways to donate:
1. Simply click on the DONATE button above and make your tax-deductible donation online. Please indicate in the memo line your information so we can properly thank you.
2. Send a check made out to Friends of the Palm Springs Animal Shelter to P.O. BOX 4808 PALM SPRINGS, CA 92263 and we will provide a receipt and tax number.
4. Drop off clean towels (we especially like white towels), polar fleece (blankets, throws and fabric bolts) and blankets and comforters directly to our shelter. Check out our WISH LIST!
5. Donate a fabulous Kuranda bed for our animals.
6. Have your own fundraising event for the animals! Host a house party, organize a garage sale, throw a bowling party, or have a percentage of sales from your place of business benefit the shelter. Or maybe you have another idea of how you can help. We want to hear from you. Simply click on the CONTACT US link above.
7. Shop AmazonSmile.
Just go to AmazonSmile, log in, or create an account if you don't have one, and choose Palm Springs Animal Shelter as your charity of choice. Each time you make a purchase through AmazonSmile, .05% will go to our animals. Super easy.
8. Shop Ralphs.
Did you know that you can help the animals when you shop at Ralph's? You can sign up online today!
On behalf of our furry friends,
thank you so much for your support and generosity.